Minutes of the PNTF Board Meeting of April 20, 2009
President William Hickman called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. in the Seattle Parks and Recreation Building at 100 Dexter Ave. N. In addition to President Hickman, the following were present: Patti Petesch, Kenny Emerick, Lawrie Robertson, Doris Heritage, Darlene Hickman, Asha Dean, Stan Chraminski, Gwen Robertson, Carole Langenbach, Bob Bowman, Tom Cotner, and Bob Langenbach.
- MINUTES AND EXECUTIVE REPORTS
A. Minutes: It was moved and seconded to accept the minutes of the January 2009 PNTF Board meeting as published on the web site. The motion was approved unanimously. Note, the individual membership numbers in the January minutes reflected 2008 totals.
B. Treasurer's Report: Gwen Robertson handed out her report as of April 19, 2009. There had been little activity since the January report. It was moved, and seconded to approve the report. Passed unanimously. The balances in the various accounts are: Youth $13,303.68; Open $8,829.57; Open Chair Fund $3,266.00; Masters $7,993.90; General Officials $2,037.54; Fred Dean Youth Travel $12,108.80; and General $19,256.29.
C. President's Report: President Hickman said he had received the report of the Organizational Services Committee from USATF's National Office. Our PNTF Association had received Full Accreditation. He also has received the document detailing the Directors and Officers Insurance. USATF Doug Logan had produced another blog entitled "End of the Fat Cats." He has also received IAAF information about starters via Peter Thompson.
D.Vice President's Report: Kwajalein Griffin was not present.
E. Membership Report: Tracy Silva e-mailed membership totals as of April 17, 2009. There were 440 Youth, 149 Open, 392 Masters, and 36 Clubs thus far for the 2009 membership year
F. Office Manager's Report: Carole Langenbach had no report
- OLD BUSINESS
- Fred Dean Foundation: Chair Asha Dean said they will be having the golf tournament after all. It will be Friday August 7, 2009 at the Newcastle Golf Club. A banquet will be on Thursday August 6th at Chandlers Crab House. It will not be a dinner, instead it will be heavy on hors d'oeuvres, conversation, and camaraderie
B. Hytek Independent Contractors License: Kenny Emerick said Hytek had been sold and there was some change in the support crew. They have not responded to his questions about an Organizational License. Results from High school and youth competitions are posted on Athletic.net. Two guys from Life Christian in Oregon are running it. It was suggested that people donate $25 to keep it running. It was also suggested that a PNTF donation to it be brought up at the next PNTF Meeting.
C. West Seattle Stadium & T&F Facilities: Patti Petesch reported that nobody responded to the Parks Request for Proposal, so the operation of the West Seattle Stadium and facility will revert to its former status.
D. Golf Course Cross Country: Bob Springer submitted his report via e-mail to President Hickman, as he will be at the GNAC Combined Events Competition. The Secretary is summarizing Springer's report: The committee met with Andy Soden and got approval to set up a course at Jefferson GC and bid for a USATF XC. Bob Springer, Bill Roe, Bob Langenbach, Neal Stoddard, Doris Heritage, and Tom Cotner met at Jefferson and toured the course and laid out a 2 km loop with appropriate changes to make all races come out even. Bill Roe has submitted a bid for the 2010, 2011, and 2012 Club Nationals as well as the 2011 (I believe) Winter Nationals and World Team Trials. Andy Soden and the golf course folks were most helpful and Andy is looking forward to having this meet at Jefferson Park. Patti Petesch said she and Virginia Swanson produced some supporting documents for the bid.
E. PNTF Annual Awards Banquet: Char Engelhardt sent a report to Carole saying the speaker, turnout, awards were all good, but we ran out of food again. John Sweeney of Eastside Runners received the Ken Foreman Contributor of the Year Award. Comments from meeting attendees said: Invitations to the banquet should be sent out electronically; we need to find the plaques with awardees names; the list of awardees should be posted on the PNTF website.
- NEW BUSINESS There was none brought up.
- COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Youth: Asha Dean reported the first T&F Meet will be at Rainier Beach. Coaches and volunteers need to be background checked.
- Open: Tom Cotner reported that the PNTF Association T&F Meet will be June 13th at Kings High School. There will not be a steeple, or hammer, or 10 km on the track. These events will be held elsewhere sometime during the summer at the CNW All-Comers Meets. The Road Race Championships will have some new places. The 10 km will be at Snoqualmie on August 22; the 5 km will be Run of the Mill or at Fremont. Super J 'n J will be the Half Marathon; beat the Bridge the 8 km, and Bloomsday the 12 km. Norris Frederick competed in Scotland. Two members of PNTF will be on USATF's 100 km team, Adam Lint and Devon Crosbie-Helms. Lauren Mathews will compete in Grand Rapids Michigan in the 25 Km Championships.
- Masters: George Mathews was not present, but Carole reported the Spring Fling and RW will be April 25th.
- Events: Neal Stoddard was not present.
- RaceWalk: Stan Chraminski said the 10 km RW will be at 10 am on April 25th, then the 5 km and 3 km combined at about 11:15.
- PNTFOA: Neal Stoddard was not present.
- Certification and Training: Darlene Hickman announced that PNTF has held 3 Officiating Clinics and 3 Rules Reviews. A total of 73 people attended the Clinics, and 32 attended the Rules Reviews. There have been at least 4 High School Rules Reviews to accommodate the WIAA requirement on certifying HS Officials for 2009. There have been numerous complaints about the USATF officiating tests. The PNTF Board instructed the Officials Chair, Bill Hickman to send a letter to the USATF Officials Committee with PNTF's concerns about the test.
- USATF Association Committee: Bill Roe was not present. Darlene reported that he will report quarterly.
- USATF Board of Directors: Darlene Hickman, USATF Board Secretary, said that there will be a conference call April 15th. The next BoD retreat will be sometime around July 17-19th. A number of Committee chairs have been approved. A financial audit is in process.
- Pacific Association Grievance: Bob Bowman said the grievance is on hold, waiting for other informatio
Following the schedule presented and approved in January, the next PNTF Board Meeting will be June 15, 2009.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 p.m.